Although founded as early as the 8th century, no remains of the original Saxon or
early Norman churches remain. The 12th century church which had been a gift to the
town from Nuneaton Priory had, in 1365, the chancel rebuilt by Simon of Sudbury (Archbishop
of Canterbury) and his brother John, to accommodate a college of canons, the misericords
date from this period. Simon was beheaded in 1381 by poll tax rioters, his body
is burred in Canterbury Cathedral, whilst his head returned to St Gregory’s - it
is still there and the mummified head is viewable by appointment.
Sudbury, which in the middle ages was the third largest town in England, due to the
wealth generated by the wool trade, could afford to upgrade the church once again
by the 15th century. This upgrade left little of the Simon’s church except for the
chancel. In 1446 a bequest was made to the church which funded the tower.
Although St Gregory does not have an independent page, it does have a parish page
within the diocesan website.