Although there may have been a Celtic Christian church prior to 705 AD, the earliest
written records are for a Saxon cathedral, founded in 705 AD, which continued until
1075. In 998 Benedictine monks, under the auspices of the 20th bishop, Wulfsige
III (or St Wulfsin). added a monastic foundation to the cathedral.
Although some of the original Saxon features still exist around the west door most
of the church dates from the Norman or later periods. The Lady Chapel dates from
the 13th century, and is built in the early English style, whilst the choir, built
in the Perpendicular style, dates from the second quarter of the 15th century.
The abbey was an early casualty of the Dissolution, being shut down in 1539. The
locals were not happy about this, and petitioned Henry VIII, this petition was granted
and the abbey was sold to the locals as the parish church..
The misericords date from the rebuilding of the choir in the 15th century.