History of St Mary the Virgin’s Church, Ottery St Mary, Devon.
Although there was probably an earlier foundation the current church almost all
of the current church dates from 1342, it was built as a collegiate church by the
Bishop of Exeter, John de Grandisson.. The misericords were created when St Mary’s
was new, and whilst we know that half of the misericords bear John de Grandisson’s
coat of arms, it is unknown who the curly haired woman, who is shown on the other
misericord, is. The church was extended in 1520 with the addition of the North (Dorset)
In 1545 the college was disbanded under Henry VIII’s dissolution, at which time the
building and its treasures were surrendered to Henry’s commissioners. Later the
same year, Letters of Patent were issued establishing four Governors, and transferring
the church to the parish, as it remains to this day. In 1552 seven assistant governors
were also appointed.
As of October 2008 St Mary the Virgin, Ottery, does not appear to have an official