History of St Michael’s Church, Ledbury, Herefordshire.
It appears that the chancel of St Michael’s was built some time in the 12th century
and may have been part of a larger church, however at some point in the 13th century
the nave and sanctuary were rebuilt and enlarged, a separate bell tower was also
built. Further rebuilding, in a similar period, added the huge north and south aisles
and the chapels of St Anne and the Lady chapel.
During the 1330’s, monks from Hereford built what is known as the chapter house and
tried to form a college, which appears to have been unsuccessful, however the misericords
date from a slightly later period, being either 15th or 16th century. This has left
Ledbury in the enviable state of having St Michael of All Angels classed as the finest
non-monastic church in Herefordshire, if not the entire region.
St Michael’s has many rare features, such as the port-hole windows in the chancel,
which probably started off life as the clerestory windows of the 12th century church.
The effigies and monuments seem to have survived the civil war unscathed. The 18th
century brought the addition of the spire to the detached tower.