Herbert de Losinga, first Bishop of Norwich founded, at the request of the townsfolk
the Church of St Margaret in 1101, he also set up a small priory attached to the
church by seconding monks from the abbey attached to the newly formed Norwich Cathedral.
Only small parts of this original church survive - the internal columns and Romanesque
arches of the west tower and the external base the base of the south tower. The
church was almost totally rebuilt under the aegis of Bishop de Grey of Norwich in
the 13th century. Only the chancel remains from this rebuild. The misericords date
from 1370 to 1377.
Wealthy merchants of the Trinity Guild sponsored another rebuild which greatly enlarged
the church in the 15th century. The east window, which dates from this rebuild is
of interesting and unusual circular design. In 1453, the Northwest tower, which
appears to have been built on poor foundations was leaning so badly that it had to
be completely renewed.
A gale in 1741 demolished the spire on the southwest tower, causing much damage to
the nave and aisle - this resulted in yet another re-build, however it is nice to
see that they retained the Romanesque arches separating the nave from the aisles,
whilst having Gothic arches from the nave to the central crossing.