.

medieval misericords misericord misericorde misericordes Miserere Misereres choir stalls mittelalterlichen Miserikordie Chorgestühl.  středověké miserikordie. miséricordes médiéval.  middeleeuwse misericords.  Misericordia misericordias.  Misericordia medievale
Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share via e-mail Print Share on Digg Share on Google Bookmarks Share on Stumble Upon Share on Reddit

Home >

UK Non-Cathedrals

Mid

Enville

The misericords and history of Enville,

St Mary the Virgin.

St Mary’s has four, 15th century misericords.

Corpus of misericords

N01

Sir Yvain. Gate house of a castle. The portcullis has descended and caught a knight on horseback. One of the knight’s legs

and the rear of the horse can be seen. Two soldiers’ heads peer through the upper side-windows of the gatehouse and a

woman’s head is looking out of another window.

Supporters - Castle tower with arch under which stands a mailed knight.

N02

Tutivillus. Woman holding rosary and a man holding a missal seated together in a pew. The devil stands behind with wings outspread and eavesdrops.

Supporters - Grotesque monster.

S01

Two dogs attacking a muzzled bear; a man sits in a tree behind watching.

Left Supporter - Man seated on the ground holding a pole to which the chain of the bear is attached.

Right Supporter - A woman carrying her baby on her back slung in a shawl.

S02

Angel, covered with feathers and with wings outspread sitting cross-legged under a battlemented canopy playing a stringed instrument

Left Supporter - A small angel playing a harp.

Right Supporter - Angel playing a guitar [damaged by wood beetle].

NOTICE All images on this page are copyright David Taylor

Please click on the thumbnails for larger images.



St Mary the Virgin Enville Church Staffordshire 15th century medieval  misericord misericords misericorde misericordes Miserere Misereres choir stalls Woodcarving woodwork mercy seats pity seats DSCF6543.jpg
DSCF6543.jpg
St Mary the Virgin Enville Church Staffordshire 15th century medieval  misericord misericords misericorde misericordes Miserere Misereres choir stalls Woodcarving woodwork mercy seats pity seats DSCF6544.jpg
DSCF6544.jpg
St Mary the Virgin Enville Church Staffordshire 15th century medieval  misericord misericords misericorde misericordes Miserere Misereres choir stalls Woodcarving woodwork mercy seats pity seats DSCF6546.jpg
DSCF6546.jpg
St Mary the Virgin Enville Church Staffordshire 15th century medieval  misericord misericords misericorde misericordes Miserere Misereres choir stalls Woodcarving woodwork mercy seats pity seats DSCF6547.jpg
DSCF6547.jpg


  Top of Page  

History of St Mary the Virgin, Enville, Staffordshire.

There has been a church on this site since at lease 1100, and possibly much earlier, as there is a small Saxon stone figure above the arcading of the south aisle.

The nave was built about 1100, a Transitional chancel was built by Roger de Birmingham, sometime between 1272-1307.  The Aisle is probably late 14th or early 15th century.

A fairly major restoration occurred in 1749, which included the chancel being re-modelled and the family pew of the Greys, Earls of Stamford and Warrington, were re-sited at the west end in what is now the choir vestry.

In 1871, Sir George Gilbert Scott oversaw another restoration, this one replace the, by then, crumbling tower with, what is arguably, his best Somerset style tower.

St Mary’s retains some fine medieval glass, including a 14th century heraldic window.  Much of the glass was replaced during the Victorian restoration, by the firm of Clayton and Bell.  More recently during the 21st century, Alan Younger has added 2 windows, including a nativity window.

St Mary’s does not appear, as of October 2008, to have an official website, however The Enville Parish Council website may prove useful.

Click here for more local Misericords

Click here for more 15th century misericords

Sitemap
Misericords RSS Update info

RSS feed for Automated updates of the regular upgrades to misericords.co.uk

Top of Page

Bookmark and Share