The earliest parts of St Lawrence’s church date from about 1070. The church was
extended in the 13th century, towards what is now the Lady chapel, and again in the
15th century, when it’s size was nearly doubled.
It is peculiar, therefore, that halfway between these two later building phased the
misericords were installed. Was this the result of a bequest? Did the church become
collegiate, only to lose its college later?